top of page
The Ponderosa Women’s Golf Association (PWGA) wants to welcome any new or potentially new women to this wonderful club. Our ladies’ group has a relatively large support system of women who participate and promote this great game of golf. Our PWGA group has 27 members and most of these women actively work hard (along with the staff) to make the Ponderosa Country Club great. All of the PWGA members know the Ponderosa is the “best kept secret in SC”. We want you to know it as well.
Listed below are the amenities and activities sponsored by the PWGA.
• The Ponderosa Country Club is the only golf club in SC to host a Pro Lady golf tournament. This brings golf club professionals from all over the state to play in this event. These club pros either bring three ladies from their club to make the foursome or our Club Pro puts our Ponderosa ladies with the visiting pro to round out the foursome. The format is two low net scores of the foursome.
• Women are always welcome any time for golf except the scheduled dogfights listed on the men’s tab. Women’s organized golf days are Tuesdays & Thursdays. Summer start times are 9 AM and winter times are 10 AM. The PWGA ladies also get together on Saturdays during the fall, winter, and spring at 1 PM. All handicaps are welcome. Our league team leader draws names each day for different foursomes to play.
• Couples’ Social every 3rd Friday of the month. Kathleen and George Taylor are our coordinators. During daylight saving’s time, we play a nine hole Captain’s Choice starting at 5:30 with dinner. George puts together the foursomes and he tries to alternate the foursomes so everyone plays with a different couple each month. Low net with handicaps wins.
• Our PWGA organizes quarterly a Saturday ladies’ handicap tournament. This event starts at 12 and guests from other clubs are welcome. Social follows afterward with lunch and prizes awarded. This event uses different formats each time and is geared toward fun and socializing.
• Our PWGA ladies are always planning group trips during the year for fun and golf.• The Ponderosa has organized tournaments on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. The PWGA conducts drawings on these tournament days. The drawings help the PWGA give back to the Club as well as donate to various charities.
• Our PWGA meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Instead of a regular meeting in December, all the PWGA members and their spouses or guests get together for a Christmas party.
• The Ponderosa has a newly renovated ladies’ locker room and we have lockers available for rent.
• Any member of our PWGA gets to participate in a number of the surrounding area golf events:
1. Sandlappers meet on the 4th Tuesday of the month. There are usually 7 or 8 rounds planned during the year at various courses. These rounds are usually $28 and include lunch. This Stableford format (points) is ideal for beginners as well as seasoned golfers.
2. Ladies’ Handicap Match League offers the same number of inexpensive rounds at various courses. The handicap chairs from all surrounding clubs match the higher handicap participants together to make each foursome fun. Golf handicaps are used for scoring.
3. Team Match is one of our longest running organized ladies’ golf. These rounds are also an inexpensive competition. Handicaps are not used. Players compete in A, B and C divisions.
4. The Women’s SC Golf Association (WSCGA) administers a tournament schedule composed of the six major championships and 25-28 one-day events on courses throughout the state. The WSCGA also provides rules seminars, and handicapping and course rating services. If you are a member of the PWGA and are enrolled in the handicap system, you are automatically a member of the WSCGA. The one-day tournaments are held on the 2nd Monday or Tuesday of each month starting in March and running through December. Ladies may choose any one of the two or three sites. Participants are flighted according to their handicaps and grouped with players with similar handicaps.
5. SC Senior Women’s Golf Association (SCSWGA) – Any lady amateur golfer who is 50 years old and has a current USGA handicap card is eligible for membership in the SCSWGA. Annual dues are paid by each individual. The SCSWGA conducts five one-day tournaments and one two-day championships for its members. Participants play with other golfers with similar handicaps.
bottom of page